Dal Makhani is prepared with red kidney beans, lentils, rich cream and butter. With a unique taste, this dal is a favourite when Indians are dining out. This recipe has the richness and flavorful taste to it, making it a mandatory delicacy in the parties and weddings. Cherished by most people in North and South India, making dal makhani is relatively simple. It is very easy to replicate the restaurant style dal makhani at home. We share the recipe of Dal Makhani from the chef’s of Camberwell Curry House in Melbourne.
- Red kidney beans – 1/2 cup, soaked overnight
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup, soaked overnight
- Butter – 4 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 large , chopped
- Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger – 2 inch, chopped
- Sunflower oil – 1 tablespoon
- Green chilli – 2 medium, sliced and slit
- Salt, to taste
- Soak urad and rajma dal overnight in three cups of water.
- Drain the water and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water. Also add salt, half ginger and garlic paste.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and cook the dal on low heat till the rajma becomes tender. Stir continuously.
- Add cream to the dal rajma mixture, saving some for the garnish.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and chopped onion. Saute till golden brown.
- Add slit green chilies, tomatoes puree, garam masala powder, salt and red chili powder. Saute on high heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma to the mix. Add water to adjust the consistency, if needed.
- Simmer on low heat till the dal looks perfect and well blended.
- Serve hot. Garnish with a little cream on top.
Very rich and creamy in texture, Dal Makhani should be served with naan, Missi roti or jeera rice. Do not forget to add a dollop of butter in the bowl.
April 29, 2019