Hara Bhara Kabab
Hara Bhara Kabab -Mildly Spiced Spinach, Peas and Potato Patties – From North India
Hara bhara kabab is the most popular vegetarian kabab of North India, you can find this in every restaurant’s menu card. Addition of spinach, cottage cheese and peas make it healthy and rich in Iron, Folic Acid , Calcium and Fiber. It is mildly flavored and easy to cook and easy to digest. You can also use these kabab to make healthy burgers for children. There are few versions and variations of making these kababs, today I am sharing my hassle-free way of making Hara Bhara Kababs.
- Spinach leaves-20
- Green Peas, boiled – 3/4 cup
- Potatoes, boiled – 2
- Paneer / Cottage Cheese, crumbled – 1/2 cup
- Semolina/Cream of Wheat/Sooji – 1.5 tsp
- Green Chilies – 3
- Cashew Nuts – 5
- Garam Masala – 1/3 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 3/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds -1/2 tsp
- Refined Oil or Ghee – to fry
- Wash and remove the stalks of spinach, use the tender leaves only.
- Boil enough water in a pan and add 1/2 tsp sugar ,when water start boiling add in the spinach and wait till the leaves wilt and change the colour(don’t overcook)
- Drain and refresh with cold water ,and squeeze all the water from the spinach leaves,by pressing in between a cloth napkin.soak the cashew halves in water
- Now grind the boiled peas and green chilies in the mixer,without adding any water.
- Then add spinach leaves and grind again, remove the paste in a bowl
- Heat 1.5 tsp ghee(clarified butter)in a non stick pan and then add cumin seeds.
- When it become red ,then add in the spinach paste and saute for few seconds on medium heat.
- Now add semolina and saute till it start leaving the pan (approx.for a minute).
- Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool down completely.
- Now add mashed potato,cottage cheese and spices and mix well.
- Make 10 balls from the mixture and shape into round pattices,press a cashew in the centre.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a non stick pan and shallow fry the pattice on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot.
April 29, 2019