How to Make Indian Naan Bread At Home? Two-Way Recipe
Naan is a pillowy soft Indian flat bread. It retains a smokey charcoal flavour because it is usually cooked in a clay oven (Tandoor) that is heated using flamed coals. This bread tastes best when smothered in butter and accompanied with Indian gravies and curries.
Unlike western bread, Naan has black burn marks on top and is more chewy. It is typically eaten by breaking it into pieces and dipping the pieces in gravy. It is the favourite bread amongst all Indian breads and is more filling too.
One can taste this bread in Indian restaurants around Victoria or make it at home. While it seems difficult, making the bread at home, without a Tandoor, is easy. All you need is a skillet or an oven.
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups refined flour
- ¾ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup butter
- Take a large bowl and mix all dry ingredients in it.
- Now mix in wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Knead into a dough for 5 minutes or till smooth.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Set aside for 1 hour or more until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into 6 to 8 small balls.
- Roll these balls into an oval or a triangular shape on a floured surface.
- Spray both sides of the dough with oil.
- Baked Naan:
- Preheat oven to the highest temperature for about 20 minutes with the pizza pan or iron pan in it.
- Place the Naan carefully into the preheated oven and let bake for about 2-3 minutes.
- Tawa or Skillet Naan:
- Preheat skillet on medium flame till hot.
- Sprinkle water on one side of the dough.
- Put the dough, waterside down, on the hot skillet.
- Cook for a minute.
- Flip it and cover the pan for about a minute or two.
- Keep adjusting heat to prevent burning.
Your fluffy naan bread is now ready. Apply butter on your Indian break and enjoy with your favourite Indian gravy.
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of making naan at home, you can order from Camberwell and enjoy our beautifully cooked, authentic Tandoori naan.
You can choose amongst the various varieties of this Indian bread in our menu which will get your taste buds tingling with zest.
June 06, 2019
January 17, 2020