Vegetable samosas is a popular Indian delicacy and it can be found in every bakery or on the snacks counter. It is savory with crisp covering and potato stuffing inside. Consume it at any time of the day with delicious tamarind chutney or a cup of tea. Camberwell Curry House is bringing the Indian street snack for you in Australia.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED :
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Water to knead dough
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4th tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 3-4 Potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (boiled)
- 1-2 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- 1/2tsp Ginger (crushed)
- 1 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- Few chopped Cashews (optional)
- Few Raisins (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder to taste
- Mix all the ingredients (salt, oil, caraway seeds) except water.
- Add water in small amounts, at a time.
- Knead well for a soft pliable dough.
- Cover it with moist muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
For Stuffing :
- In a bowl, add mashed potatoes, all the dry masalas (salt, chili powder, garam masala), green chillies and ginger. Mix well.
- Add green peas, cashews and raisins. Mix well.
- Add coriander and keep aside.
To make samosas :
- Make small rolls from dough and roll it into a 4″ diameter circle.
- Cut it into two parts like a semi-circle.
- Now, take one semi circle and fold it like a cone. Use water while doing so.
- Place a spoon of filling in the cone and seal the third side using few drops of water.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry till golden brown (fry on a medium flame).
- Serve the vegetable samosas hot with green or tamarind chutney.
Note that it’s better to make the samosas in batches. Try out our recipe at home and relish the Indian snack in various other styles like chaat and with a hot cup of tea on a rainy day.
April 29, 2019